Clive Emson Land and Property Auctioneers generated sales worth over a whopping £20 million at its first auction of the year – the best February figure since 2016.
The auction house achieved a sale rate of over 80% after cataloguing 171 lots. The sale – which took place across five days in five venues – was the biggest since 2018 and the biggest first sale of the year for seven years.
James Emson, managing director of Clive Emson, comments: “We have certainly enjoyed a great start to 2020 with excellent results coming from a packed catalogue. It is another demonstration of the power, practicality and effectiveness of the auction when it comes to buying and selling land and property.”
He says the Clive Emson team are looking to build on February’s results throughout the year, with their team of specialists working hard on behalf of their clients and customers.
“However, we are only as good as our last auction and we will be striving to bring you the best possible lots next time,” he adds. “Thus, we go into our pre-Easter auction series in March with a definite spring in our step and a determination to make it the best one yet.”
Highlights of the February auction included:
- The 18th century, four-storey former Lord Duncan pub in Chatham, now dilapidated but with plenty of potential, sold for £115,000 after being offered without reserve in an executor’s sale.
- A vacant mixed-use property ready for development in Ottery St Mary, Devon, which sold for £161,000. It comprises an ex-convenience store, a large attached building and a self-contained two-bedroom flat.
- A charming 17th century cottage needing refurbishment but with flexible accommodation and cathedral tower views in historic Winchester city centre was sold for £400,000.
- A conveniently located Chelmsford city centre three-bedroom mid-terrace house needing improvement took its price to £284,000.
- A substantial 12-bedroom former care home in Ore, Hastings, with potential for a continuing care facility, HMO or residential conversion went under the hammer at £250,000.
The firm holds a regional auction at five locations every six weeks. The second sale of 2020 will start at 11am at the following venues:
Essex & North and East London – Monday March 23 at the Chelmsford City Racecourse, Chelmsford.
Kent & SE London – Tuesday March 24 at the Clive Emson Conference Centre, Detling, Maidstone, Kent.
Hampshire & Isle of Wight – Wednesday March 25 at the Solent Hotel at Whiteley, near Fareham.
West Country – Thursday March 26, at the St Mellion International Resort, Saltash.
Sussex & Surrey – Friday March 27 at the Hilton Brighton Metropole, Brighton.