“My daughter was busy at work and I wanted to help her out so I came to auction to bid for this so she could get her foot on the ladder.”
The woman admitted to watching YouTube videos that week to gain knowledge on auctions. She said: “I was really worried about the gavel falling so I was watching for that. I needed to be sure when the gavel fell it was my property.”
“My daughter was watching the auction live online at work, but she didn’t know she was the winning bidder until I called her.”
Auctioned by Network Auctions, the two-bed, two-bathroom modern terraced house sold for £315,000 against a guide price of £310,000.
Excited by her winning bid at auction, the generous mum is looking forward to helping her daughter move into her first property.
Network Auctions held its February 28 ballroom sale at their new location at The Westbury Mayfair. It raised £5,942,500 with a success rate of 86%.
River Thames Pier fuels fierce bidding war
Network Auctions also saw competitive bidding for a River Thames Pier located in Gravesend, Kent at its February 28 sale, with the hammer price reaching £96,500.
Used as a passenger ferry terminal, the freehold pier was sold on behalf of receivers.
The auctioneer, Guy Charrison, said: “In all my 39 years of the property industry, I have never sold a pier.”
The bidding began at £55,000 and crept up in £1,000 and later £500 increments as determined buyers battled it out until the gavel fell.
The successful purchasers were the Port of London Authority, who intend to use the pier as a working berth and be operational within months.
Clive Emson marches into spring
Clive Emson Land and Property Auctioneers is cataloguing a bumper 134 lots for its second sale of 2019.
With eight sales taking place across five days in five venues this year, Clive Emson’s next auction begins on March 18.
James Emson, managing director of Clive Emson, said: “One thing is certain in this uncertain world – that we all need somewhere to live and that bricks and mortar remains a commodity that stands the test of time.”
“We ensure that our lots are comprehensively appraised and then realistically guided. Our policy of complete transparency means there are no shocks or surprises – what you see is what you get.”
The auctioneer will also be launching a new series of fixed date online auctions commencing on Thursday March 28 to complement the traditional ballroom auction, which remains unchanged.
The streamlined fixed date online auction will run in real time on the Clive Emson website.
In its February auction, Clive Emson raised £18 million at a sale rate of 80% from 116 lots catalogued.
Highlights of the March auction include:
- The historic Grade II-listed Old Church Cottage in Kennington near Ashford, in need of refurbishment, is to go under the hammer with a freehold guide price of £200,000-£220,000 in an executor’s sale.
- The Queen’s Arms pub at Pitminster, near Taunton, with extensive owners’ accommodation, a large car park and skittle alley is being offered at £250,000-£300,000 freehold.
- A Victorian building arranged as six building as six holiday lets on a 0.24-acre plot in Shanklin, Isle of Wight is guided freehold at £500,000-plus. Estimated fully-let income is £4,505 per week.
- A contemporary house with a home automation system near the seafront in the sought-after Kemptown area of Brighton – which has been generating up to £65,000 per annum as a holiday let – has a freehold guide price of £500,000-£550,000.
- A detached bungalow in need of improvement but near walks and views over the creek in the coastal village of Point Clear Bay, near Clacton, has a freehold guide price of £50,000-plus.
Clive Emson holds a regional auction at five locations every six weeks. The second sale of 2019 starts at 11am at the following venues:
Essex & North and East London – Monday March 18 at the Chelmsford City Racecourse, Chelmsford.
Kent & SE London – Tuesday March 19 at the Clive Emson Conference Centre, Detling, Maidstone, Kent.
Sussex & Surrey – Wednesday March 20 at the Hilton Brighton Metropole, Brighton.
West Country – Thursday March 21 at the St Mellion International Resort, Saltash.
Hampshire & Isle of Wight – Friday March 22 at the Solent Hotel at Whiteley, near Fareham.
Online Auction – Thursday, March 28, www.cliveemson.co.uk/online.