By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.


Lack of safety checks being carried out by property investors

Hundreds of thousands of homes acquired each year are at risk of a life-threatening gas incident, such as a carbon monoxide leak, or expensive repairs to boilers, fires, radiators and cookers, simply because homebuyers, including many investors, fail to carry out gas safety checks before buying a property, new research shows.

The study carried out by CORGI HomePlan found that just 10% of property purchasers considered it important to check a property’s safety before completing a purchase, while 28% believed it was covered in the mortgage lender’s survey.

The most common item new homeowners overlook is the working condition of their boiler, with 39% not getting a qualified engineer to test it.


Some 70% of the homebuyers surveyed did not know that new homebuyers can ask for a service record of all gas appliances in a home, including boilers, central heating, fires, cookers and portable heaters.

Wales was the safest region, with almost eight in 10 respondents having a Gas Safe registered engineer check out their property before moving in. Londoners were least safety-conscious, with just 38% from the capital doing the same.

Kevin Treanor, director of CORGI HomePlan, commented: “Buying a new home is an exciting time and one that often involves committing yourself to the limit of your finances.

“However, just as you wouldn’t commit to buy a property without seeing the surveyor’s report first, it is just as important that homebuyers also see the full service record of all gas appliances and have a Gas Safe registered engineer inspect the home too.

“Carbon monoxide still kills around 50 people a year and every one of these deaths is avoidable. People must minimise the risks by making sure all their gas appliances are in full working order.” 


Please login to comment

MovePal MovePal MovePal
sign up